Two weeks ago, we moved house with three children. It was hectic, to say the least. We were moving mid week and during the first week back at school and kindy, after the long summer holidays.
Yesterday, I received a message from a mother asking if I had any tips on moving house with kids - so I thought I would share some of the things that we did that helped our children adjust to the move.
- Take your child(ren) to the home viewings if possible. If this is not an option, show them photos of the house.
- Talk about the new home as much as possible. Keep it light and fun. "When we move to our new home we can play hide and seek" "When we move all of our belongings into the new home..." "What are you looking forward to the most when we move into our new home..."
- Have your child(ren) pack some of their things into boxes, so they feel like they are in control of the situation.
As an adult, we may find it very frustrating when someone has moved our things! It is no different for a child.
- Start the packing process very early on so that all of the things that make home home, for the kids aren't suddenly gone. Start by packing away things like ornaments, some books, extra mugs and glasses etc
- When you arrive at the new home, be sure to set the kids beds up first, and have them help unbox any of their favourite things so that their familiar items are with them, in an unfamiliar or new space.
- Consider leaving a rock salt lamp or other night light on for the first couple of days. It can be discomforting or disorientating waking in a new home, in the dark.